Chronic Disease Self-Management
Workshops are being conducted via zoom during the COVID pandemic. Visit our wellness calendar to register for this class and to see other offerings by SeniorAge.
Chronic Disease Self Management Programs are designed to help people gain self-confidence in their ability to control their symptoms and how their health problems affect their lives. Small-group, highly interactive workshops are six weeks long, meeting once a week for 2 ½ hours, and are facilitated by a pair of leaders one or both of whom are non-health professionals with a chronic disease themselves.
Click the image below to see the full flyer for Living with a Better You.
Subjects covered include:
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation,
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and
- Appropriate use of medications,
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals,
- Decision making, and,
- How to evaluate new treatments.
The Self-Management Program will not conflict with existing programs or treatment. It is designed to enhance regular treatment and disease-specific education such as Better Breathers, cardiac rehabilitation, or diabetes instruction. In addition, many people have more than one chronic condition. The program is especially helpful for these people, as it gives them the skills to coordinate all the things needed to manage their health, as well as to help them keep active in their lives.