Matter of Balance (MOB)
Falls are the leading cause of both fatal and nonfatal injuries for those 65 years of age and older. Every 14 seconds, an older adult is seen in an emergency department for a fall-related injury. SeniorAge Senior Activity Centers are now offering Matter of Balance Classes to help individuals be more at ease on their feet. MOB classes emphasize practical coping strategeis to reduce the risk of falling. Participants also find ways to change their environment to reduce fall risk factors and learn simple exercises to increase strength and balance.
A Matter of Balance is a structured group intervention that emphasizes practical strategies to reduce fear of falling and increase activity levels. Participants learn to view falls and fear of falling as controllable, set realistic goals to increase activity, change their environment to reduce fall risk factors, and exercise to increase strength and balance.
Workshops are designed for adults age 55 or older who have concerns about falling and may restrict their activities due to their fear of falling. Each workshop is 2 hours long, once a week for eight weeks and are conducted by trained leaders. Inquire at your local Senior Activity Center for upcoming class schedules.
The Facts About Falling:
- Studies indicate that up to half of older adults experience fear of falling and that many respond to this fear by limiting physical activity.
- The majority of falls occur during routine activity.
- Falls usually are not caused by just one issue.
- A large portion of falls are preventable.
- Being inactive results in loss of muscle strength and balance. It can also compromise social interaction and increase the risk for isolation, depression, and anxiety. Fear of falling can actually contribute to falling.
- Group classes provide an opportunity for people with common problems and concerns to learn from each other and to help each other deal with the fear of falling.
After Taking A Matter of Balance Class:
- 97% of class participants are more comfortable talking about their fear of falling
- 97% feel comfortable increasing activity
- 99% plan to continue exercising
- 98% would recommend MOB to their peers.